2 cups quartered strawberries
1 cup blueberries
1 cup raspberries
1 pint whipping cream
2 tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
1 tbsp honey (or to taste)
- Rinse all fruit, and slice the strawberries
- In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixture to beat the whipping cream until it starts to thicken
- Add the cinnamon and honey, and beat until the whipped cream is thick to your liking
- Put the whipped cream in a large ziplock bag, and cut off a corner
- Squeeze whipped cream into the bottom of a short glass or small bowl, whatever you plan to serve the dessert in
- Add a layer of strawberries, more whipped cream, a layer of blueberries and raspberries mixed, more whipped cream, and top with remaining strawberries
There is an important lesson that goes along with this post, and that lesson is:When throwing a dinner party, be aware of any food allergies your guests may have.
Last weekend was my mother-in-law’s birthday, and as The Husband and I just moved into our first house this summer, we thought it would be nice to throw her a little dinner party with family at our place for a birthday present.
For dinner, I made a big green salad with goat cheese and balsamic, zuchinni noodles (zoodles!) with pesto and this delicious main dish. I knew I needed a special birthday dessert, and I wanted something on the healthier side, so I decided on delicious fruit with a little whipped cream.
I know my mother-in-law loves her fruits and veggies, and I decided adding whipped cream was dessert-y enough. The cinnamon and honey added into the whipped cream made this typical fruit cup a little special. I had enough fruit and whipped cream for 6 fruit cups, and they turned out beautiful!
Now to get to my lesson of the day on food allergies… My father-in-law is allergic to strawberries. What?! Yes. It’s true. The Husband and I have been married for almost a year, and have been great friends since we were 16. I’ve spent a lot of time with his family. How on earth could I not have known this about his dad?
Luckily, my father-in-la is super laid back and simply picked out the strawberries. He’s apparently so laid back about it that The Husband didn’t think it was a big deal to serve a dessert that could cause his dad allergic reaction. Next time, I will ask my guests about food allergies. Lesson learned!
On a happier note, my mother-in-law loved this dessert! I have to agree that it was fantastic!