For 2 Grilled Avo Toms:
4 slices of bread
1 avocado, sliced
1-2 tomatoes, sliced
1 cup shredded cheddar blend cheese
For the Sweet Potato Fries:
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
- Rinse the sweet potatoes, and chop into “fries” strips.
- Place your fries in a medium mixing bowl, and add the olive oil. Combine, making sure all fries get coated with the oil. I use my hands for this.
- Sprinkle with salt, and give the contents of the mixing bowl another good stir.
- Spread the fries out on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 425° for 25-35 minutes. Keep an eye on them. Baking time depends on how thick the fries are cut and can vary.
- While your fries are baking, slice your avocado and tomatoes.
- Build your two sandwiches with avocado slices, tomato slices, and a hearty helping of cheese.
- Check on your fries. Once they have about 5 minutes left in the oven, spray a panini press with cooking spray and grill up your sandwiches until the cheese is melty and the bread crispy.
NOTE: If you don’t have a panini press, simply add a little oil or butter to a frying pan, and grill your sandwich on the stove top.
- Once your fries are out of the oven, grab your sandwiches out of the panini press and load all this goodness onto your plate.
- Serve with ranch (and more avocado for dipping the sweet potato fries, if you’re an avo addict like me!)
Back in college grilled avo toms were a favorite of The Husband and mine. Of course back then The Husband was just The Boyfriend, and this sandwich seemed like a delicacy because it wasn’t a) from the cafeteria or b) pasta.
A grilled avo tome is basically a glorified grilled cheese. In fact, I vaguely remember being inspired to make this because of a post on fancy grilled cheese sandwiches…I promise I wasn’t reading it to procrastinate. I know that it was somehow vital to my education at that moment. Or maybe I dreamed it? I didn’t sleep much in college.
Anyway, we still eat this sandwich. A lot. It always sounds good, and it always is! I know it’s a silly simple recipe, but I had to share it just in case you haven’t thought to make a grilled avo tom before. You really shouldn’t live another day without having one. And it pairs perfectly with a side of sweet potato fries, which are easy to make, healthy, and insanely delicious!
Just have this meal for dinner soon, okay? You won’t regret it!