2 tbsp olive oil
2 lbs roma tomatoes
2 white onions
3-5 cloves garlic
Several sprigs of thyme, basil and oregano
½ tbsp. dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
- Spread the olive oil on a baking sheet (it’s a lot less messy if you have a baking sheet with edges for this recipe)
- Chop the stem end off the tomatoes, and slice them in half lengthwise
- Chop the onions into large chunks
- Peel the garlic, cut off the ends, and slice in half
- Spread the tomatoes, onions and garlic on the baking sheet. Add the sprigs of thyme, basil and oregano.
- Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.
- When done baking, discard the thyme, basil and oregano. Place everything else into a blender, and combine until liquefied into a sauce.
- Pour the tomato sauce into a large stockpot, stir in all the spices, and turn the stovetop to low.
- Let the sauce simmer for about 2 hours, or until thick.
- You can use the sauce immediately, or let it cool and package it up for the refrigerator to be used later.
There’s nothing wrong with quick and easy pizza sauce from a jar, but there is something especially delicious about knowing exactly what’s going into your sauce. No added sugar, no weird things I can’t pronounce, and oh my gosh your kitchen will smell DELICIOUS while this bakes and simmers. This recipe makes about 2 cups!